Welcome to the Florida State Music Teachers Association
As an affiliate of the Music Teachers National Association (MTNA), FSMTA is a non-profit organization providing professional support for nearly 800 music teachers and their students. With 23 local associations, we provide both independent studio music teachers and college faculty with many member services, including:
To learn more about our organization, please visit some of our links or contact us directly.
The Florida State Music Teachers Association is an organization whose members are professionally engaged in the teaching of music in the State of Florida and who have met certain membership qualifications, as set forth in the Bylaws of the Association. The primary purpose of the Association is the advancement of music in the State of Florida through excellent teaching, learning, and performing which seeks to recognize individual achievement at all levels. Specifically, the Association strives to raise and maintain the standards of music teaching; stimulate public interest in music, encourage the study of music, and protect its members in all matters pertaining to the profession. It achieves these goals through a comprehensive program consisting of:
- Challenging student activities which brings public recognition to the accomplishments of students and to good teaching.
- High quality continuing education opportunities for music teachers.
- A rigorous Teacher Certification Program.
- Active local associations, district associations, and statewide activities to promote fraternal relations among member teachers and to sponsor meetings for study, discussion, performance, and evaluation.
- Sound financial support ofr its programs and for certain types of scholarship assistance to talented students.
- Good communication between constituencies.
- Protection and/or awareness of its members in ethical, governmental, and business matters.